Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Unschooling Gifted Children - Chaos Can Be Effective!

I found this blog post today and found it intriguing.

http://giftedunschooling.blogspot.com/2013/08/i-have-no-control.html?spref=fb

Parts of it sounded like the voice in my head.  But wait!  I don't have a son.  Hmmmm . . .

I'm a big believer in organization, but highly gifted kids don't fit the mold, and therefore can be seen as messy.  This is part of the reason homeschooling has been such an extreme-sports kind of adventure for me.  I like structure.  I want to believe I have some control.  The bottom line is that I have control of myself and my choices.

Parts of her blog post terrified me.  The control freak in me didn't like it AT ALL!  However, we have had effective seasons of unschooling.  I also call these unit studies.  Unschooling and unit studies can look very similar in some cases.   I fully intend to do some seasons of unschooling in the future, but am happily looking forward to a school year with more structure this year.  So is M.  Well, she's happy about it today, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment