Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Monday, August 12, 2013

Asynchronicity and Overprotectiveness - can school be damaging?

I want precursur this by reminding everyone that I believe school is good for some kids, including some gifted kids.  For others, however, it is not.  For ours, it was not.

Yesterday, my husband ventured out of his comfort zone more than usual with some trusted friends and responded in more detail to the questions about why we aren't putting M in school.  He usually leaves this to hi obnixious wife (yes, me).  I was not there.  These people are his friends and I know them but little.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he used a simple example that I often do.  She is doing math at ___ grade level, science at ____ level, and reading at ____ level.  No school in our culture can accomodate that.  We have a hard time doing it, in fact.  School just doesn't work for her.

If you'd like a smarter-sounding answer backed up with more of the research and scientific information I simply don't do, this post is a good place for it.  http://www.sengifted.org/archives/articles/asynchronous-developmen

Truth be told, I sometimes wish I did communicate more like this person, since I get tired of the expressions that communicate "I'm not taking you seriously."  Ah well.  It takes all kinds and my style is different, so I'll simply share a variety.  Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment