Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Inspiration can look like danger

This week has been full of amazing things for me.  I feel overwhelmed, scared, excited, fulfilled, overwhelmed and more.  That's what just-before-school looks like for me . . . and other times, I'll admit.

Earlier this week, I got a call from someone I haven't known long.  However, the family is the kind that you care about an awful lot right away.  The mother is an amazing, inspiring person, and tends to be quite business-like in her approach.  She's not cold or mechanical, but business-like as opposed to emotional or breezy.  They are very strong Christians who live in the world, as opposed to next to it.

When I answered the phone, I could tell she had tears and she struggled to find words.  This is something I had not experienced with her.  It turned out, we had another shared experience, and she was simply overwhelmed with it.  She was in tears of relief, she said.  I was right there with her, and my daughter entered into the emotion of the event, as well.

Then, this blog post inspired me.

http://www.stevewiens.com/2013/08/13/rim-to-rim-for-eyes-that-see/?utm_content=bufferf6308&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Wow!  Just wow!

Then, this one did.

http://www.blogher.com/why-we-shouldnt-be-interested-raising-safe-christian-kids

Keeping children safe is instinctual.  I will not be as bold as that mother, I'm sure.  However, after a fall, we asked, "was it a good landing?"  If the answer was yes, life went on as usual.  If no or tears followed, hugs and kisses were prescribed.  I also stopped others from allowing M to take chances and learn thing.  I do not want to instill fear of failure that prevent her from trying things.  As an adult, I try to model that.  You miss out on a lot of fun if you do not try things and take risks.

I am thankful to be surrounded by people who understand that being different is not inherently safe, but that being normal is not an option or even desireable.  They share this amazing stuff with me, and it challenges me to think about my life and parenting and homeschooling and schedule differently.

The two ideas I hope I can incorporate of my Christianity into the whole of my life are these.

1.  "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"  Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  All the Law and the Prophets hand on these two commandments." ~ Matthew 22:36-40  This was a memory verse from my Bible study this week, as well, adding to my week's inspirations.

Notice that it doesn't say your Christian neighbors or your safe neighbors.  The word safe does not occur in there, nor does the word separate.  My family will not live outside the world and segregate if I can help it.  It also holds nothing back.  We are commanded to love people, and love is a verb.

ALL of those things are to be used.  Not just most of them.  Not just when you have extra.  I am profoundly proud of my family for being willing to be the crazy people, and to accept me as the crazy mom.  We are the ones who are ridiculously open and honest, and more often than I expected, people appreciate that.  This was affirmed in that phone I mentioned.  My husband and I believe that our calling is to make sure people don't go through the things we do believing they are alone.  Sure, we get snubbed and we scare people sometimes.  When people appreciate it, that is usually a strong emotion, and we have amazing fun with those who choose to do life with us, even for a season.

2.  "You are the salt of the earth.  But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?  It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.  You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stnad, and it gives light to eveyone in the house." ~ Matthew 5:13-15

I am surprised that I haven't heard sermons about how this sounds like, "be yourself."  Yes, this is referring to spirituality.  However, Christians are supposed to have spirituality as part of their identity, and the best teachers I've known were not what you picture in evangelists.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being an evangelist.  However, I think powerful Christians can be powerful in a way that looks like kindness, generosity, goodness, caring, etc.  I think that truly loving other people gets attention, fulfills Christian calling and makes people want to look closer, whether or not they share the faith.  God is in charge, not me.  I don't need to tell people all about him.  However, people usually know I am Christian without a lot of theological discussion.

I have been asked to share my faith with a few, and I have gladly accomodated the requests, but mostly, I just want to be seen as a loving person.  An insane, loving person, perhaps.  I'm OK with that.

I hope your Fall plans leave you excited, inspired and fulfilled!  I will not be running the Grand Canyon this year, and I'll probably never be the parent who doesn't warn kids to be safe.  However, these people inspire me, and I'll find my own way to live it out and let it evolve me.  I'd love to hear your ideas on how you'd like to evolve this school year, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment