Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Breakthrough - "Different" does not equal "Needs to be fixed"

I love this blog post:
http://mommytg.blogspot.com/2013/04/sharing-my-recent-breakthrough-as-parent.html

As parents of children who are not neurotypical, we are given a lot of unsolicited advice by well-meaning, but uninformed people. "Just" usually begins the statements from those who just don't really understand or just don't believe that these children really are different. Ours are not better than other children. They do not need to be fixed. They are simply different.

Like the author of the linked blog post, I have been blessed to find several different sources of support from those with some level of understanding and appreciation of children who are not neurotypical, and just as wonderfully supportive of their families. I hope all of you are blessed with a support network with some degree of acceptance if not understanding. Even more, I hope that you have found unconditional support in your most confusing and important journeys through this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment