Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Good luck keeping up with that!

Today has been an interesting day. Our daughter walked into the kitchen a few minutes ago and said to us, "I learned some cool things about making babies."

Yikes! She is seven, in case I've never mentioned that before. Our eyes got wide at each other and then we looked down. "Really. What did you learn?" one of us asked, but I could not tell you which one of us. I'm still busy freaking out.

"I learned why you need a husband once you have a baby." Uh oh! "The husband has seeds in him that need to swim to the mom, and it has half the direction in it." OK, maybe this is salvageable. Maybe. Are we having the sex talk at age seven?

"Did you read this in your encyclopedia?" I asked. "Yes, and did you know that when the baby reaches four years, it tends to make a lump in the mom's tummy?"

"Four months, honey, but yes." ~me

"And then the mom can tend to feel the baby."

"Your mom felt you in her tummy." ~dad

"Isn't that cool?" Wide eyes accompany this response from her.

"Yeah. It's really cool and really scary at the same time." ~dad

The book in question is an Usborne Children's Encyclopedia that can be internet linked. We have not used the internet portion of it, at this point. I'm thinkin' I need to look at that part of the book to understand exactly how much she learned . . .

It's hard to keep up with a highly gifted kid and we hope to stay ahead of her on the important topics. Or, at least, we hoped to . . . we may have already missed that goal . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment