Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Should I?

I was already wondering if actually going through with this Blog is a good idea.

As my daughter was diagnosed as highly gifted, we were discouraged from talking about it much. It's seen as bragging, and even other families with gifted kids don't really deal with conversations about it well . . . or so we are told. People have asked more probing questions than I ever expected, and we're not that far into having words to describe it, so it's awkward. From some, the initial advice has been spot on.

However, I believe that part of the reason it's not well understood is that people don't talk about it. Also, Dr Deborah Ruf, in her book, "Levels of Giftedness" says that we naturally are proud to discuss our children's milestones and celebrate them. I never thought about it that way before, but she's right. I also want my daughter to celebrate her milestones, and not see intelligence as an illness.

God had an even better way of encouraging me to continue in this adventure. Today, i met with a friend I hadn't seen in years, and she brought her daughter. From facebook, she had a very general idea of what's going on, and I trust her. However, we hadn't talked directly about much of it. We planned it all very last minute and as she asked questions about our journey and then told me about her current considerations as a parent, I could see God's hand arranging it all. The timing was perfect, and none of it planned ahead, including starting this blog. . . How many others are wondering where to start or who it's safe to talk about without sounding like a bragging parent? How many are debating the ease and friendliness with going along with a situation that may be stifling a child's abilities because the alternatives are unknown and not discussed openly?

It reminded me of a promise my husband and I made years ago. We were going through a difficult time and feeling like we were alone in the world. As we began to open up about it, we learned that we were in no way along. Since then, we do not want people in contact with us to believe they are alone in something that we have experienced. That is something we take seriously, and I have been in tears of thankfulness as friends have told how our openness helped them work through things or get the courage to start a particular adventure. I think God planned that connection, as well. I will continue. Who will join me, I wonder . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment