Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Brains are organs, right?

I had an interesting conversation yesterday, while having my hair cut.  We were discussing the changes since the last time I had my hair cut, including her maternity leave.  As we talked about the changes in our lives related to M during that time, she asked if the vision therapy and giftedness go together.  I paused and she quickly said something like, "I do hair, remember, I'm not smart."

I stared, then scolded her, telling her not to diminish herself like that!  I also reminded her that she found something she wanted to do & enjoyed, studied it straight out of high school, and is great at it - that makes her smart in my estimation.  She smiled softly and agreed.

For the record, doing something that makes you look important or smart but doesn't bring you happiness or satisfaction shows a lack of wisdom, in my opinion.  Doing whatever makes you happy and fits you, regardless of whether or not you're capable of "more" (which I think is a flawed term for this topic) shows wisdom of a much greater value!  Quality of life is more important than looking important!

Now, to move on from my rant . . .

I have shared here before that I suspect that people who are not neurotypical in one way are probably more likely to be a-typical in other neurological ways, but in our conversation yesterday it came out differently.  Brains are organs.  Organ development is mostly hereditary.  Therefore, brain function is hereditary.

Maybe that seems overly simplified or overly subtle in its difference to my previous post, but I wanted to share it.  It's logical.  Using my previous example of MS, which is accepted as affected by heredity, brain function should be hereditary, right?

So, there you have it - she works on heads all day & helped me put another angle on my belief that neurology is hereditary.  In addition, I know there are good and poor examples in every profession.  I will try & choose the gifted hair stylist, the gifted mechanic, etc.  Don't we all try to do that most of the time?

Have a great day doing what you enjoy, whatever that may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment