Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Question Everything - How many right answers are there?

An older movie with Meg Ryan playing the niece of Einstein, she is trying to wrap her mind around a concept, and reminds herself to question everything.  I love this concept when I'm feeling stuck, it enables me to back up much like Roxanne Richie does in Megamind.  We can then see things a completely different way - clarity is sometimes better at a distance.

This was recommended & I love it - a great and inspiring post for anyone who has been going through the motions and taking things for granted. . . . this is most people, I fear . . .  

My daughter does this.  It is the way her mind works, and she is constantly fascinated and absorbed.  As a mother, this is extremely frustrating.  While I see the value in doing this when it is appropriate, sometimes you need to see the door in front of you and open it, rather than admire the writing on every item you pass.  How do I find a balance on this myself and pass it on to my daughter?  I do not want her to lose her sense of wonder, and she inspires me in so many ways.  However, remembering to eat is good.  Does that sound extreme?  Seriously, we have to remind her to eat.  I'm no better.   When I get wrapped up in something, I realize I need to eat when the headache becomes unbearable.  

So, yes, we need to question everything and see things from a new perspective, but I think many gifted individuals take this to an extreme that makes life difficult.  I often remember the far side cartoon about the gifted school where the door says either pull and the student is trying desperately to push it open.  Yes, it's funny.  I think it's also pretty true. An inspiring mother of a 2e individual was telling me how many people assume only one way to interpret things, but gifted minds see more correct options.  She used an example of doorways.  At a public place, a door said exit, and it meant don't go through this way in that situation.  However, her daughter was trying to exit the room she was in, read exit, and proceeded toward the door.  She wasn't incorrect in her interpreatation, even though it was an ineffective interpretation in that particular situation.  In a way, B was telling me that gifted minds are more creative - that they see mroe possibilities in each situation.  That reminds me of the blog post linked, as well.

I'm not sure what my point is on this, but the connections interested me, and I wanted to share them.  Please share you thoughts, examples, or musings on it.  Do you have an amusing story to share that links with these things?  Life is fascinating . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment