Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Envy, snobbery, etc.

This is a topic few talk about regarding giftedness.

I am guilty of envy.  I am envious that my daughter feels insecure (almost as much as I do) about celebrating her milestones.  Virtually every parent celebrates milestones like first steps, talking, riding a bike, starting school, graduation, etc.  However, when your child does anything at a time considered "abnormal" (as if normal exists  . . .  I'm not convinced), some people make a big deal and false assumptions about the people celebrating them.  This is also related to delayed development of any kid, as well as those kids who experience both delays and acceleration, depending on the area.  I think this does a decent job of being neutral in tone about the topic.  It's a hard one.

http://microscopesareprudent.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment