Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Monday, December 17, 2012

Parents in denial, shock and laughter

There is a lovely woman who I am honored to call a friend. She is married to a real-life, easy-t-recognize genius. They have a preschool-aged son. I have been telling my (also brilliant) friend that their son is gifted, and that it's hereditary. At first, it was denial that anyone except her husband was gifted. At least she didn't try to deny that one. Our mutual teasing has gone on as long as I have known her. I just kept insisting that their son is gifted. Of course, being someone who can handle me, she blew it off. Yes, I did just admit that's sometimes what it takes to deal with me. Moving on. Today, I got an awesome, short text from her, essentially saying, "I concede. He is gifted." Just to put another feather in the its-not-hereditary camp hat, I replied with, "Duh!!!!!" Enter the laughter. She sent me more details ending with, "oh dear." It made long Christmastime lines at the post office quite entertaining, as I pictured my friend with Piglet's voice and stutter ;). I think the bottom line is that most parents adore their children and believe them to be the most amazing children on the planet. At the same time, we know we're partial to our children, so we doubt our own opinions. Or, perhaps it is hereditary and we simply don't recognize it as anything unusual. I must admit it is far more relaxing to joke around with my friend and anticipate her younger child going through all of this than it was to realize it in my own child. We will laugh together and share stories through both families' adventures, I hope. I cherish the vulnerability of other families sharing their experiences with us. If things on this blog resonate with you. . . or even if they don't, you are not alone. Wishing you a holiday season rich and warm with loving community.

No comments:

Post a Comment