Why do I ask?

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I worried that she would inherit my seasonal allergies, that I might have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin, etc. When she was born, I worried that I would make mistakes that would cause damage to this perfect creation of God. I never worried that she might be "too smart" . . .

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Awkward principal encounter

We were at our local medical clinic for a normal appointment, and were surprised to run into the principal from M's previous school in the waiting area. We think the world of him, so in general, seeing him is not overly awkward. However, M started going on and on about everything she could think to tell him. Like I said, we think the world of him, and clearly she agrees. Then she says, "and Mom can't keep up with me, so when if I finish ___ grade early, we're going to quit homeschooling and unschool again." This is a partially correct quote. In order to fully understand, I must back up. The last grade she started and completed in 5 weeks, then I quit homeschooling her for the year. In the meantime, we have been unschooling. Basicly, this means teaching through everyday activities. Highly gifted children can't seem to get enough information to satisfy their appetite, so the concept is that you don't need to encourage them. Honestly, she has probably completed another grade in the 4 months that we have been unschooling. I laughed at her comment in front of the principal, and he looked curious. "Honey, we aren't going to stop at the end of ___ grade this year." This was out before I could process how much/little the principal knows, etc. Luckily, I didn't voice the next immediate thought, "the state wouldn't be pleased if I stopped schooling you before Halloween" . . . It felt like a long pause as I gathered my thoughts. M was uttering a disappointed and confused "oh" while the principal's eyebrows did a high jump. As M ran off to a different part of the waiting room, I quietly said, "I'm planning about 3 grades worth of material for this year. If she completes that early, I'm definitely quitting!" He agreed and expressed both surprised and excitement for us. Like I said, this is an awesome principal. Funny . . . that wasn't what I expected to happen on my way through the waiting room at the doctor's office . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment